Gadgirth moth trapping 2015

Post reports of moth sightings and reports from South West Scotland

Gadgirth moth trapping 2015

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:11 pm

All,
I really didn't expect the first specimen of the year to be worthy of mention however Early Moth in the actinic on 30.i.2015 was new for site and at best local in Scotland.

Nick.
nickcandlish

Re: Gadgirth moth trapping 2015

Postby ron » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi Nick,
Considering the weather were having i think that`s an excellent result and photo.
Ron
ron

Postby nickcandlish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:31 am

All,
With an improvement in the weather and my hip I started trapping again on the 2nd, all the usual culprits for this time of year but nice to record Twin-Spotted Quaker ab. immaculata ... the first time I've seen this form.
For the record, catch thus far.

MV
COMMON QUAKER 2
HEBREW CHARACTER 10
TWIN-SPOTTED QUAKER 5
CLOUDED DRAB 3
WATER CARPET 1
SMALL QUAKER 1

ACTINIC
MARCH MOTH 2
CLOUDED DRAB 9
COMMON QUAKER 6
TWIN-SPOTTED QUAKER 3
THE SATELLITE 2
THE CHESTNUT 1
HEBREW CHARACTER 12
EARLY GREY 1
SHOULDER STRIPE 2

TWIN-SPOTTED QUAKER ab. immaculata

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:27 pm

All,
Pine Beauty lifted my spirits first thing this morning, a first for me and this 'square' (NS42)

PINE BEAUTY

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:17 am

All,
The Engrailed put in appearance last night, seems to be scarce here as I last recorded it in 1996.

THE ENGRAILED

The Actinic continues to significantly outperform the MV.... last week MV produced 23 specimens/7 species in seven nights whereas the Actinic produced 83 specimens of 10 species in six nights.

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby IainH » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:59 pm

Hi Nick,

Just like Yellow Horned, Engrailed is another 'common' spring species that is also rare with me at Ardeer Quarry LNR - indeed, I've never caught it there. Perhaps our main trapping sites are not scrubby enough. A trap elsewhere in the town today surrounded by a huge area of suitable foodplants (Broom, Hawthorn and Birch) contained a couple of Engrailed.

Can you remind me, how far away is your actinic from your MV?

Iain
IainH

Postby nickcandlish » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:39 pm

Iain,
Sorry to have been slow with this, life has been complicated....
About 10ft.
Recently I've used both the actinic and mv alone on different nights___the mv without the actinic produced similar (poor) results as when used in conjunction with the actinic. When using the actinic alone the catch dropped significantly but was still far better than the mv alone.
Going back to my theory on dual light sources I think it important to point out that my site is probably untypical. Just behind the Robinson mv is a wall about 14ft wide and 8ft high (this is where the photo is taken from), the wall behind the logstore in the background is some 6ft high...a bit like trapping in a box really! The point here is that I think I need a bright light to act as a primary attractor.
To take this whole thing a step further, a modern actinic tube has a spectral peak of about 368nm which research has shown to be the most effective wavelength for attracting most flying insects (not just moths) and they are made specifically for this purpose unlike mv bulbs.
As you will see from the picture below mv doesn't emit UV at anything like such a short wavelenght, hence, I suppose the efficacy of running the two in conjunction with one another.
I have in mind a concept for a dual light source Robinson type trap but have yet to do anything about a prototype....watch this space!!
Little to report moth wise, a couple of Early Tooth-striped and a single Streamer last week were both uncommon for me but not new.
As we now seem to be doing beetles Rhagium Mordax landed on me whilst sitting in the sun before the weather folded.
I've got a meeting with the surgeon who repaired me tomorrow, should be able to ditch the crutches and start to get some sort of life back once the muscle wastage is reversed.

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby IainH » Tue May 05, 2015 1:53 pm

Hi Nick,

I’m glad to hear that your health is continuing to progress and things might soon start returning to normal!

Thanks for the interesting information - that’s illuminating (if you’ll excuse the pun!). It’d be interesting to see if your dual source trap works as effectively as your current set-up. Perhaps the spatial separation of two light sources is important and interacts with the moths’ flight paths in such a way that it sends them careering into the actinic (an effect perhaps exaggerated by the relatively large size of the actinic’s vanes).

Iain
IainH

Postby nickcandlish » Fri May 15, 2015 4:31 pm

All,
Despite a significant drop in catches recently Powdered Quaker on the 14th was new to me. Swallow Prominent on the 13th was unusual...
Lesser Swallow Prominent is by far the most common of the two in recent years whereas the reverse was the case fifteen or so years ago.
Brindled Pug on the 13th encouraged me to have a serious go at putting names to Pugs, previously I've tended to disregard all but the most obvious ones!
SWALLOW PROMINENT

POWDERED QUAKER

BRINDLED PUG

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Fri May 22, 2015 4:53 pm

All,
An utterly dismal week, ran the MV alone every night for one each of Poplar Hawk Moth, The Lychnis and White Ermine.
Over the same priod last year I ran the MV on three nights and recorded 40 specimens representing 18 species! I do hope that things pick up soon.

Nick.
nickcandlish

Next

Return to Moth sightings