How can we help you promote butterflies & moths in your area

How can we help you promote butterflies & moths in your area

Postby ScottD » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:25 am

As per title, please discuss.
Is there anything that you could suggest to help to promote the enjoyment,public profile & study of lepidoptera in your area?

cheers,
Scott D
ScottD

Re: How can we help you promote butterflies & moths in your

Postby IainH » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:39 pm

Hi Scott,

I've only just noticed your interesting question. The following suggestions are perhaps a bit dry and not fun (a reflection of my personality, no doubt!). The South West Scotland ID Guide has a page on some good butterfly sites to visit. I think that advertising some of the best places to see butterflies in the region via such a 'site guide' is a great way to encourage an interest in butterflies. However, the site guide in the ID leaflet perhaps suffers from a few problems. First, it is difficult to find this site guide: the ID guide's entry on Google does not seem to mention that it also doubles as a site guide. Second, perhaps more sites should be listed. Third, each entry is very short. There's more to be said about each of the sites. Fourth, photographs of the sites might help entice readers to visit – some of the sites in question are very attractive.

An attractive, comprehensive site guide that is easy to find on Google would be a good thing. I'd be happy to contribute to such a project – I'm doing something similar with bees in Ayrshire. (Perhaps such a site guide exists already and simply needs to be indexed better on Google.)

Regarding moths, if the branch ever want to run a mothing event, they're welcome to tie it in to my mothing at Ardeer Quarry LNR. That is, I'd be happy to combine the opening of my traps on the reserve in the morning with a BC mothing event. This would help raise awareness of Ardeer Quarry LNR and would allow BC to just turn up to an event rather than worry about all the pragmatics of transporting and setting-up moth traps, safeguarding them, etc.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Iain
IainH

Re: How can we help you promote butterflies & moths in your

Postby ScottD » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:34 pm

Ha Iain, I've just notice your reply! :oops:
Think that this area of the forum gets very little traffic so not often viewed.
Good idea on the site guide -I'll pass it on & see if we can get something moving & your help certainly would be appreciated.
& we certainly would be interested in knowing about your lepidoptera-related events & if you wish advertising them on our branch Facebook page etc. I know that you have lots of traps but if you need even more we may be able to lend a few for those nights.
ScottD

Return to Other butterfly & moth related