Hurlethill Butterfly Transect

For queries and discussions about Butterfly and Moth surveys, and setting-up, running (or sharing) a butterfly transect

Hurlethill Butterfly Transect

Postby andrewmasterman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:37 pm

I have just set-up a new butterfly transect at Hurlethill which was one of two Biodiversity in Glasgow (BIG) sites I surveyed for butterflies and birds in 2007 and 2008 when I recorded good numbers of Meadow Brown and Ringlet plus a number of Vanessids (both adults and caterpillars) and of course Green-veined White. However I didn't see any butterflies today but it was cool and breezy.

The site is within 1 km square NS5161:

http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm?mapAction=gaz&gazName=g&gazString=NS5161

As I tend to be away for long periods in the summer time owing to butterfly surveying in the Argyll and the Highlands, I would appreciate someone else getting involved in the butterfly transect at this site if possible. It is easy to get to via the M77 leaving at Junction 2 - it took me just 15 minutes today to travel the 6 miles from Govanhill to Hurlethill - so anyone who lives in central Glasgow with easy access to the M8 or M77 will be able to get to this site easily. It is also a very interesting and scenic site with a variety of habitats: grazed pastures (highland cattle), open grassy hillsides, deciduous woodland, mixed woodland.

The transect I set up is shown on the map below in red and took me half-an hour to walk at a brisk pace.

If anyone is interested in helping me out in monitoring this transect this year, please email andrewmasterman@hotmail.com

Carol MacLean, Biodiversity Officer of Glasgow City Council, says "Hurlethill is a City-wide Site of Importance for Nature Conservation and is owned by Glasgow City Council. I’ve looked through the old paper records and from 1993 there were records of Orange-tip, Common Blue, small white (spp uncertain), Meadow Brown and Small Heath".
andrewmasterman

Re: Hurlethill Butterfly Transect

Postby andrewmasterman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:49 pm

I tried moth trapping tonight. Not a good night for moths- cold, breezy and too much moon!

Got 1 Hebrew Character in one Heath trap and one Engrailed flying about. Will take a net next time and sugar. I'm sure Hurlethill is good for moths!
andrewmasterman

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:56 pm

Anndrew, I'll see what I can do over the summer - no promises though!
It's only a few miles from where i grew up so I'm not unfamiliar with the Hurlet.
& iirc Bull Wood (just at the top of the map) was a site for purple hairstreak?

Postby andrewmasterman » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:04 pm

Guest wrote:Anndrew, I'll see what I can do over the summer - no promises though!
It's only a few miles from where i grew up so I'm not unfamiliar with the Hurlet.
& iirc Bull Wood (just at the top of the map) was a site for purple hairstreak?

Hi Guest,

Good to get a positive response so soon. I don't know if I know you though, the name guest is not informative.

Didn't know about the PH at Bull's Wood. Will check it out.
andrewmasterman

Postby andrewmasterman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:13 pm

Got 17 butterflies along the transect today: 9 Orange Tip; 4 Small Tortoishell (at nettle patches); 2 Green-veined White and 2 Peacock.

This suggests that it will be a productive transect. :D
andrewmasterman

Postby scottshanks01 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:56 pm

Fantastic news! Loads of Orange tips out along the Clyde walkway to Dalmarnock on Monday afternoon and a comma next to the River as it goes through Glasgow Green! :D
Getting lots of e-mails from people keen to set up new transects this year! :)
scottshanks01
Site Admin

Postby andrewmasterman » Sun May 22, 2011 4:11 pm

Managed to get a seventh visit in to Hurlethill transect today despite sun coming and going.

Only got one butterfly - male Orange Tip - along the transect although came across a Green-veined White and another Orange Tip on my exit route. Also found a Small Heath off transect at NS515612 which was exciting.

Also found three groups of young Vanessid caterpillars in the nettle patches in section 6 so no doubt both Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell are breeding here and will re-appear along the transect in August.
andrewmasterman

Return to Surveys and Transects