Green hairstreaks

For queries and discussions about Butterfly and Moth surveys, and setting-up, running (or sharing) a butterfly transect

Green hairstreaks

Postby owenfiggis » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:25 pm

Its nearly time to look for them again and I wondered if its worth searching areas that do not contain bilberry. In other parts of the UK they are meant to have a variety of food plants. Is this the case in south west scotland too?
owenfiggis

Re: Green hairstreaks

Postby scottshanks01 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Hi Owen,
Really good point. Pretty much every book and article I've read state that Green Hairstreak (only) use blaeberry in Scotland, but that might be because people are only looking for it near Blaeberry?
In England and wales it mainly uses young gorse shoots on neutral soils, blaeberry on acid moors and common rock-rose on chalk and similar alkaline soils, but it's also been recorded using Broom, Bird's foot Trefoil, Dyers Greenweed, Buckthorn, Dogwood and Bramble. I've seen it a few times resting on gorse, but I think there was always some blaeberry near by.
In SW Scotland common Rock-Rose looks to be restricted to D&G and South Ayrshire (along with the Northern Brown Argus), but Gorse and Blaeberry are pretty widespread. Green Hairstreak is much more localised, but undoubtably under-recorded. Up to date (2010) GH distribution map below.
Green Hairstreak.jpg
Green Hairstreak distribution in SW Scotland (5km scale)
Green Hairstreak.jpg (131.87 KiB) Viewed 5945 times

It would be great to hear from anyone who's seen or heard of it breeding on gorse or rock-rose (or anything else) in scotland.
Cheers
Scott
scottshanks01
Site Admin

Re: Green hairstreaks

Postby scottshanks01 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:10 am

Green Hairstreak have been seen on the wing in the Highland branch near Kyle of Lochalsh,: http://www.highland-butterflies.org.uk/latest_news.html. Pretty early in the year, but it's quite possible that a few are out in SW Scotland too!:)
Scott
scottshanks01
Site Admin

Return to Surveys and Transects