SMALL CHINA-MARK

Post reports of moth sightings and reports from South West Scotland

SMALL CHINA-MARK

Postby nickcandlish » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:24 pm

All,
A bit of rather fetid ditch in Shewalton Wood has looked promising (for what I don't know, just promising!) for a year or two...I cycle past it frequently.
Passing it yesterday I saw lots of small white moths on the wing which proved to be Small China-Mark. I went back today armed with camera and pots and below is the result. There were many hundreds of them, all males. The females are pale brown and only fly at night according to British Pyralid Moths, Goater 1986.

If anybody feels inclined to go and see them they are towards the Papermill end of the route 7 cycle track, specifically NS3390835275.

Nick.
nickcandlish

Re: SMALL CHINA-MARK

Postby IainH » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:49 pm

At Ashgrove Loch (an ancient, mesotrophic loch, which is an SSSI) in Stevenston, yesterday, there were dozens of Small China-marks scattered along my route around the edge of the wetland. I'll try to find a suitable sunny day this week to investigate other local wetlands.

IainH

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Iain,
How interesting, sort of bears out what has been going through my mind on the subject...find duckweed and Small China Mark will probably be there. I suspect that given the lack of people interested in moths in Ayrshire there may be colonies of many species that have simply been overlooked vizaviz your successes at Stevenston and to a rather lesser extent my trapping at Gadgirth.
According to Gill Smart the colony in Shewalton Wood strictly speaking isn't, the land to the west of the path belongs to Caledonian Paper, I'd hoped to go and have a look to see if I could find them to the East of the path this weekend but other things have got in the way.

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:02 pm

All,
Got myself back to Shewalton Wood proper today and cycled round looking for duckweedy ditches, when I finally found one Small China-mark were in attendance albeit in small numbers (4!).
Nick.
nickcandlish

Return to Moth sightings