GADGIRTH MOTH TRAPPING 2016

Post reports of moth sightings and reports from South West Scotland

Re: GADGIRTH MOTH TRAPPING 2016

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:37 pm

All,
Given the weather,unsurprisingly, a poor week. A fair number of Silver Y and Straw Dot, the latter presumably immigrants. Broom Moth on Friday night is a common species that I only see in ones and twos most years, this site doesn't really have the right habitat for it. Saturday night saw two Ash Bud Moths in the traps, once again a common species but one I hadn't seen before.
ASH BUD MOTH
To remain on the subject of common species I was struck by the number of Nettle Tap whilst walking in the pouring rain this afternoon, my first and only previous sighting of this species was last year despite having lived and walked here for thirty plus years.
Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:50 pm

All,
How utterly dismal!! Only four things remotely worthy of mention....Swammerdamia caesiella which seems to have been previously overlooked in Ayrshire, a very oddly marked LYU, a number of Argresthia goedartella positively glowing in the sunshine perched on Butterbur beneath an Alder tree and a large hatch of Birdcherry Ermines, this event on the same tree was about two weeks later than 2014.

LARGE YELLOW UNDERWING

SWAMMERDAMIA CAESIELLA

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby IainH » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:22 pm

Hi Nick,

I've had the trap out only a couple of times over the past 2 weeks (I never even got around to posting details of the first of these, so uninspiring was the catch). I concur that things are pretty slow at the moment. The weather's such that there's seldom been a night where I thought it worth lugging all my equipment to my raised bog trapping site. However, next week it looks like temperatures will increase a bit and the rain will be less frequent.

Iain
IainH

Postby nickcandlish » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:54 pm

Iain,
Can't say I blame you, my trapping has been spasmodic at best. I managed to pot a specimen of Argyresthia goedartella this evening, to my eternal shame the image below was posed and still dreadful!!

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:17 pm

All,
At last something to report, Dotted Carpet at actinic last night was a welcome first for my site. Other than that it has mainly been increasingly tatty LYU's. The occasional Pink Barred Sallow and Brindled Green have brought a taste of autumn, maybe things will pick up then...I could certainally do with
a bit of interest!!

DOTTED CARPET

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:55 pm

All,
After the unseasonably warm nights this week the weather has folded so a brief update. Nothing new for site unfortunately however one or two species of interest...Copper Underwing has been frequent in the actinic with one night providing five, a record for me, the species doesn't seem greatly attracted to MV as prior to using actinic it was quite a rarity in the trap. A rather late Iron Prominent was joined by a very boldly marked Blue Bordered Carpet last week.
This week has produced my first Mouse Moth since 2006, Dark Sword Grass since 2013 and my second ever Oak Nycteoline the previous record being in 2014
COPPER UNDERWING
IRON PROMINENT
BLUE BORDERED CARPET
MOUSE MOTH
DARK SWORD GRASS
OAK NYCTEOLINE

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:08 pm

All,
Trapping results in the last month or so have been disappointing with a few exceptions....A single Autumnal Rustic put in an unexpected appearance (it used to be fairly common here). Brown Spot Pinion on the other hand seems to be doing well this year, appearing frequently rather than occasionally. A singleton of Blairs Shoulder Knot was in the MV last weekend, perhaps the second record for VC75. With regard to micros there have been very few, although Ypsolopha sequella may be new for the vice county.
BROWN SPOT PINION
SALLOW
YELLOW LINE QUAKER
TAWNEY BARRED ANGLE ab nigrofulvata
AUTUMNAL RUSTIC
RED LINE QUAKER
BLAIRS SHOULDER KNOT
RUSH VENEER
EPINOTIA NISELLA
YPSOLOPHA SEQUELLA

Nick.
nickcandlish