GADGIRTH MOTH TRAPPING 2016

Post reports of moth sightings and reports from South West Scotland

GADGIRTH MOTH TRAPPING 2016

Postby nickcandlish » Mon May 30, 2016 4:39 pm

All,
I've hardly trapped at all this year accordingly there has been nothing to report until last night (29.v.2016)
A single specimen of Marbled Brown came to the actinic. Rather surprising given that the preferred habitat is stated to be mature Oak woodland which we don't have locally. According to the NBN online distribution map this is a new record for VC75. Also pictured below is a very worn Geometrid with malformed wing tips which I reckon to be The Engrailed, as ever I would be glad to be corrected!

Nick.
nickcandlish

Re: GADGIRTH MOTH TRAPPING 2016

Postby IainH » Mon May 30, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi Nick,

The Mabled Brown is a great record - a very interesting Ayrshire first. I wonder how many mature Oak trees need to be present in a wood before a moth considers it to be 'mature Oak woodland'!

Iain
IainH

Postby nickcandlish » Mon May 30, 2016 8:07 pm

Iain,
Yeah, it fairly lifted my spirits this morning. Very easily overlooked as a Nut Tree Tussock which is common here in due season, I wonder if I have done so in the past?
I'd sort of considered having a year off in 2016 because it can get a bit 'samey' however on reflection and in light of this mornings success probably not....I only invested in the actinic September 2014 so given last years lousy summer there may be species yet to be added to my Gadgirth list by the use of actinic.....I've posted before as to its apparent efficacy compared to MV.
What did you make of the Geometrid?

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby IainH » Tue May 31, 2016 5:54 pm

Hi Nick,

I think you're right with The Engrailed – the cross-lines seem to fit perfectly.

I'm glad you're trapping this year. Although I know exactly what you mean when you say that moth trapping at the same site can get a bit 'samey', between a better summer this year, your new actinic trap, species moving northwards and random good luck, I'm sure you'll add some further new species to your site list.

Iain
IainH

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:19 pm

All,
The continued good weather has been marred (from a mothing perspective at least) by cool clear nights, however Green Silver Lines cheered me no end largely because both Iain and 'ron' had recorded it....one to the North and one to the South of me!!
GREEN SILVER LINES
This morning a small but very distinctive micro caught my eye and as far as I can see must be Nemapogon picarella, seemingly a nationally rare species not previously recorded from this area.
NEMAPOGON PICARELLA
So considering the lack of numbers in the trap I feel rather well done to this past week...it can't last!

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:19 pm

All,
This week has seen an improvement in numbers and to a lesser extent species. I started the week off with the Actinic on top of a neighbours car port which is in direct line of sight of the only two mature oaks in the immediate area hoping for Marbled Brown again but to no effect, I did however get a rather worn example on the garden fence later in the week. Noticeable have been the large numbers of Scorched Wing, Oblique Carpet and Diamond Back Moth the latter seems to have had a mass migration to our shores recently. Single specimens of Miller and Bordered White both put in an appearance, the last time I recorded the former was back in 2002 and Bordered White is at best occasional.
MILLER
BORDERED WHITE
MARBLED BROWN

Dr.Mark Young kindly verified my ID of Nemapogon picarella, I also asked his views on the disparity between the various distribution map sources, he opinioned that Butterfly Conservation East Scotland is the most reliable resource for micro distribution....another one for the favourites file!
Forgot to say three Green Silver-Lines in the actinic on Saturday night.

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:00 pm

All,
Finally got to grips with this Geometrid that I found dead on the kitchen windowsill. May Highflyer, common enough but new to me.

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby IainH » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:10 pm

I noticed a thread on the Scottish Moths Yahoo group in which it was suggested that May Highflyer is relatively abundant this year. Some recorders who have never caught it before have done so this year. I've been keeping an eye out for it, but, despite regularly getting Alder-feeding moths in the trap, I've yet to catch a May Highflyer.

Iain
IainH

Postby nickcandlish » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:03 pm

Iain,
How interesting, I hadn't picked up on that.
The problem now is to put a date to it. The kitchen windowsill was replaced in 2012 so given the accumulation of general rubbish that it attracts I think I'm looking at a four year window, you will gather from the aforesaid that my wife doesn't follow this forum!!

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:37 am

All,
A somewhat dismal week, the weather being north easterly to begin with certainly didn't help nor did the failure of the actinic on Friday night, the old problem of condensation in the control box.
Pebble Hook-tip on the 16th was pleasing as my first record of it was last year but I failed to get a photo, on both occasions it was on the vanes of the actinic rather than in the body of the trap.
Nick.
nickcandlish

Next

Return to Moth sightings