Kilmarnock Moths

Post reports of moth sightings and reports from South West Scotland

Re: Kilmarnock Moths

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:11 pm

Hi Ron,

thanks for your encouragement and suggestions. I agree that getting the trap up a bit would bring results. I could make some kind of support maybe 3 or 4 feet high. That would help. The tube I use at present is intrusive in a shared garden area. Nobody has actually complained about it - its more the attention from various dogs I am bothered about. Again, raising it would help. I may try a blacklight for the new season.

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Tue May 12, 2015 7:43 pm

Hi everybody,

back garden trapping has been pretty hopeless so far. Even trapping during the best of the weather has caught a big zero. However, I did get one moth today. In my garden hut I had stored some seashore stuff collected earlier in the year near Cairn Ryan - bird skulls etc. Looking through this material, a micro emerged from the dried out skull of a guillemot. It was the Skin Moth Monopis laevigella. I have previously found this species in collections of owl pellets, this is the first from bird remains. I suppose I will have to record it to the site at Cairnryan.

Another recent recording conundrum (not moths) occurred a couple of weeks ago when I was tidying my flower pots. In the compost was a bird ring. No bird or any remains - just the ring. I logged the find with BTO and it was a blackbird ringed near Birmingham in 2012. I had only filled these pots last year with compost and presumably the ring was in the compost. The BTO can unravel that one.

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Postby ron » Wed May 13, 2015 10:04 am

Hi Alistair,

Regarding back garden same here zero often wonder why that is, moths are being caught in the wild not many but still caught. I too had one, one that over wintered (miner) it was in a split freezer bag inside another freezer bag, not one that i had seen before so i was really excited when i opened the bag it flu straight past my chest and out the open greenhouse window (surprised no one heard me outside of Girvan ) the other bag was full of microscopic parasitic wasps about 3mm long, the ones that the larva formed inside a bubble ( maybe i should edit that post ) don`t recommend overwintering mines unless you are prepared to look after them more than i did , wasps were destroyed.
Presently i have two in pots, rollers, one from plum the other from honeysuckle so fingers closed.
Ron
ron

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:03 am

Hi everybody,

must have been something right about conditions last night. In the trap this morning:

Heart & Dart 3
Common Swift 4
Map-winged Swift (gallicus) 1
Scalloped Hazel 1
Common Marbled Carpet 1
Silver Ground Carpet 1

Plus 1 Un ID'd Pug Sp.

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Postby nickcandlish » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:15 am

Alistair,
Yes this has been a very late spring/early summer. My specimen and more particulary species counts are well down, Powdered Quaker on Thursday night I thought illustrated just how odd this year has been thus far.

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby ron » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:39 pm

hi
Last edited by ron on Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ron

Postby nickcandlish » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:34 pm

Ron,
I Would be surprised if David Cameron were to contact you through this forum as ex Eton alumni. As you well know your images are not of a moth, about time,I think that you stand back and take a long look at yourself. It appears that you don't realise that you are making an utter fool of yourself on a stage that is open to anybody on the planet with internet access.
I do wonder if you know who you really are as you try to hide behind different pen names on this Forum, Scottish Moths, and as H.H. on Photobucket.
I also find it strange that your rather poor grammar on this forum is not replicated to such a limited degree when you post as Coast Dart on Scottish Moths....perhaps you are an intellectual 'taking the piss' (I rather doubt it!)
FOR THE GOOD OF ALL WHO VIEW/CONTRIBUTE TO THIS FORUM, WISE UP, DON'T POST RUBBISH AND FIND SOME HUMILITY....You might even find it beneficial.

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby ron » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:16 am

Nick,
Surprised coming from you, don`t see any ref to Iain who at times posts insects other than moths and does show an interest in photography, and there were times you yourself enjoyed a bit of a laugh, just sad to think all this time i have just been tolerated but no matter point taken, won`t happen again
Ron
ron

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:50 am

Ron,
Perhaps I misunderstood your now deleted post, as I read it the Damselfly images were titled the biggest moth I've seen, or words to that effect. Sloppily constructed posts are liable to be misconstrued.
All the best ,
Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:24 am

Hi everybody,

moths picking up a bit now in the garden. This morning in the trap:

Heart & Dart 4
Middle-barred Minor 2
Pale Prominent
White Ermine
Map-winged Swift