Lime Hawkmoth

Post reports of moth sightings and reports from South West Scotland

Lime Hawkmoth

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Tue May 13, 2014 7:15 pm

Hi everybody,

last year a larva was found on Lime at Eglinton Country Park by Eric Rietveld. Eric subsequently reared it, and after pupating, a fine Lime Hawkmoth emerged a few days ago. This species seems to be very scantily recorded north of the border and it is great to get a picture of this stunning moth Thanks Eric.

Alistair.

AlistairMurdoch

Re: Lime Hawkmoth

Postby nickcandlish » Wed May 14, 2014 6:42 pm

Alistair,
Lovely moth, lovely image and an even better record. According to my hard copy of Provisional Atlas of the UK's Larger Moths the most northerly record for Lime Hawkmoth is in Northumberland and pre year 2000.
Clearly this is a subject for some targeted fieldwork over the summer....could this specimen be one of a previously unknown colony or has it been introduced (maybe as an egg) on recently planted saplings, time and observation may provide the answer.
Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Wed May 14, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi Nick,

the map provided by NBN on UK Moths shows a single site for Lime HM in Scotland (near the Clyde), but going onto the actual NBN site, this record is not shown. Perhaps some strange record protocol at work. Eglinton certainly has some convincing lime trees, with two avenues maybe planted in the 80's, but nothing more recent that I am aware of. Unfortunately neither Eric or myself work at Eglinton now so it could be a while till another one is recorded.

On the topic of explanations for species turning up well off the usual distribution, I remember when I went through a phase of sea shell collecting at Barassie and Troon, I got two species of shell which were from the other side of the globe. I envisaged some ship carrying these individuals stuck to the hull and transported halfway across the planet only to drop of in the Firth of Clyde and wash up at Barassie. However I abandoned this theory when I discovered that fancy seashell collections commonly available in home décor shops had both these species. More likely somebody had a nice basket of attractive shells in their bathroom which their kid flushed down the toilet from time to time and got washed up via the sewage system. Seems feasible anyway.

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Postby ron » Fri May 16, 2014 10:00 am

Hi Alistair,
Envious.
Still trying to work out how to send photos where do you type the web address.
Ron

Trial [img]http://dropbox.com/photos/bramble beach.jpg[img]
ron

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Fri May 16, 2014 7:42 pm

Hi Ron,

the web address is just typed as another line at the end of your message. I think I will start a new subject as "Photos" and ask Iain to write out instructions.

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Return to Moth sightings