Emperor Moth

Post reports of moth sightings and reports from South West Scotland

Emperor Moth

Postby jimblack » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi all you moth-ers
Any suggestions for good sites for Emperor Moth. My only photos are ancient and on film. I' d love to have a few digital images
Yours hopefully
Jim Black
jblack9@sky.com
jimblack

Re: Emperor Moth

Postby TamStewart » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Hi Jim,

If you can manage to Sunday's launch of the Bog Squad at Langlands you may catch a glimpse or two.

I had 6 Emperors flying around me today in the sunshine on the boardwalk across the moss at Langlands NS635513.

Tam
TamStewart

Postby IainH » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:26 pm

Hi Jim,

I’m afraid I’m a parochial moth-er who doesn’t regularly travel far beyond Stevenston on entomological expeditions - so I‘ve a poor knowledge of Emperor Moth sites. And even at Ardeer I’ve never come across an Emperor Moth during the day (apart from a lost-looking suburban one last year). If I’m back in Ayrshire in the first half of May, I will (weather-permitting) be moth trapping at Ardeer in habitat where I’ve previously trapped Emperor Moths. If I do trap at some point over the next three weeks, you’re welcome to come along when I check the traps in the morning, but it’d be a heck of a long trek for just the chance of an Emperor.

Iain
IainH

Postby jimblack » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:45 am

1 Thanks, Tam. 6 in a day sounds good. I've seen 2 in 40 years, plus 1 larva !
2 Thanks, Iain. I'm in London until 6th May, but Ardeer is pretty local - I've been known to go to Dorset and back the same day.
jimblack

Postby IainH » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi Jim,

In that case, if I'm back in Ayrshire within the next 2 or 3 weeks, I'll send you an email.

Iain
IainH

Postby nickcandlish » Sat May 03, 2014 7:47 pm

All,
On the strength of this thread I went to Langlands Moss today. Overcast, breezey and distinctly cool, however I saw three of what I presumed to be Emperor Moths flying in an utterly haphazard manner low over the heather. I've never knowingly seen one before so despite not getting a 'proper view' came away feeling that the journey hadn't been wasted!

Nick Candlish.
nickcandlish

Return to Moth sightings