Gadgirth moth trapping 2014

Post reports of moth sightings and reports from South West Scotland

Re: Gadgirth moth trapping 2014

Postby IainH » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:01 pm

Hi Nick,

Nice Barred Chestnut! I’ve still to catch one at Ardeer.

Sometimes I think that almost all mystery noctuids in August turn out to be Flounced Rustic or Square-spot Rustic! Following this, I’d say that your conundrum is a Square-spot Rustic. When things like Rustic Shoulder-knot, Dusky Brocade, Common Rustic or Square-spot Rustic turn-up new for year after an absence of 10 months, they have a habit of causing a bit of head scratching (especially during my trapping sessions!).

That’s my guess anyway.

Iain
IainH

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:59 pm

Iain,
Thanks very much, talk about not being able to see the wood for the trees! An obvious Square-Spot Rustic having been pointed in the right direction.
Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:47 pm

All,
Really nothing of interest to report, a combination of the weather and a weekend away have rather cut across my trapping effort however, catches, for the sake of a complete record, below.

13.viii.2014
FLAME CARPET 1
LYU 8
LBBYU 3
JULY HIGHFLYER 1
INGRAILED CLAY 4
ROSY RUSTIC 1
FLAME SHOULDER 1
C/LC RUSTIC 2
DOTTED CLAY 1
DUNBAR 1
SMOKY WAINSCOT 1
TURNIP MOTH 1

14.viii.2014
BRIMSTONE 1
WHITE ERMINE 1
INGRAILED CLAY 8
LYU 8
LESSER YELLOW UNDERWING 1
DARK MARBLED CARPET 1
JULY HIGHFLYER 1
SIX STRIPED RUSTIC 1

18.viii.2014
ROSY RUSTIC 1
SILVER Y 1
LYU 2
INGRAILED CLAY 1
THE RIVULET 1
TURNIP MOTH 1

SILVER Y

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:49 pm

All,
Due to cool nights and a northerly airstream this weeks results have been none to interesting, on the plus side a new camera has improved the images and no doubt when I get the hang of it they should improve further!!

19.viii.2014
LYU 6
ROSY RUSTIC 2
JULY HIGHFLYER 1
INGRAILED CLAY 1
ANGLE SHADES 1
DOTTED CLAY 1
LBBYU 1
SMALL RIVULET 1

ANGLE SHADES

20.viii.2014
ROSY RUSTIC 1
INGRAILED CLAY 1
LYU 2

21.viii.2014
LBBYU 1
C/LC RUSTIC 1
CANARY SHOULDERED THORN 1
INGRAILED CLAY 3
LESSER YELLOW UNDERWING 2
THE SALLOW 2
JULY HIGHFLYER 1
LYU 3
ROSY RUSTIC 1
FLAME SHOULDER 1

CANARY-SHOULDERED THORN

22.viii.2014
ROSY RUSTIC 4
SILVER Y 1
LYU 3
CENTRE BARRED SALLOW 1
INGRAILED CLAY 2

CENTRE-BARRED SALLOW

23.viii.2014
LYU 5
ROSY RUSTIC 2
INGRAILED CLAY 5
LBBYU 1

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:01 pm

All,
A rather bland week I'm afraid. The first Frosted Orange of the year always lifts my spirits as did Brindled Green which is new for site. Interestingly Friday night was wet and very windy, there does seem to be some sort of correlation between lousy weather and interesting species here. All I can think is that they eminate from some ancient woodland about a quarter of a mile to the south. The only other thing of interest was a very dark and ill marked Square Spot Rustic on the 26th which had me foxed until a better marked but still dark specimen occured the following night.

24.viii.2014LYU 2
INGRAILED CLAY 1
ROSY RUSTIC 2
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC 1

CANARY SHOULDERED THORN

25.viii.2014
SILVER Y 1
LYU 9
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC 2
ANGLE SHADES 1
INGRAILED CLAY 3
C/LC RUSTIC 1

26.viii.2014
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC 4
COMMON MARBLED CARPET 1
LYU 6
ROSY RUSTIC 1
FROSTED ORANGE 1
INGRAILED CLAY 3
FLAME SHOULDER 1

FROSTED ORANGE
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC

27.viii.2014
C/LC RUSTIC 1
INGRAILED CLAY 3
LYU 12
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC 1
JULY HIGHFLYER 1
THE SALLOW 1
ROSY RUSTIC 1

28.viii.2014
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC 2
LYU 10
INGRAILED CLAY 3
FLAME SHOULDER 1

29.viii.2014
BRINDLED GREEN 1
LYU 3
ROSY RUSTIC 1
ANTLER MOTH 1
FLAME SHOULDER 1
INGRAILED CLAY 2

BRINDLED GREEN

30.viii.2014
COMMON MARBLED CARPET 1
JULY HIGHFLYER 1
FLAME CARPET 1
LYU 3
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC 4
CENTRE BARRED SALLOW 1
FLAME SHOULDER 1
ROSY RUSTIC 1
INGRAILED CLAY 2
COMMON CARPET 1

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:33 pm

All,
Sorry this update is late, I've been on holiday.
Despite very moth friendly weather for the time of year catches have been minimal however a couple of new species for site (Large Wainscot and Oblique Carpet) and a new trap have kept my interest going.
My new trap, a 12 volt actinic, has thus far provided a couple of points of interest...Copper Underwing is a rare occurence here at MV and it also appears to have a strong attraction to July Highflyer.

NEW TRAP

1.ix.2014 (MV)
LYU 2
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC 4
LESSER SWALLOW PROMINENT 1
C/LC RUSTIC 1
LESSER YELLOW UNDERWING 2
THE RIVULET 1

2.IX.2014 (ACTINIC)
LYU 2
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC 2
JULY HIGHFLYER 1
FLOUNCED RUSTIC 2

FLOUNCED RUSTIC

3.IX.2014 (MV)
FLOUNCED RUSTIC 1
SILVER Y 2
LYU 2
DARK MARBLED CARPET 1

3.IX.2014 (ACTINIC)
FROSTED ORANGE 1
JULY HIGHFLYER 1
LYU 3

JULY HIGHFLYER

4.IX.2014 (MV)
LYU 11
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC 2
LESSER YELLOW UNDERWING 3
ROSY RUSTIC 2
SPRUCE CARPET 1

4.IX.2014 (ACTINIC)
COPPER UNDERWING 1
LYU 8
JULY HIGHFLYER 2
DARK ARCHES 1
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC 2

COPPER UNDERWING

5.IX.2014 (MV)
OBLIQUE CARPET 1
ROSY RUSTIC 2
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC 5
BRIMSTONE 1
LYU 3
INGRAILED CLAY 2
FROSTED ORANGE 1
SMALL WAINSCOT 1

OBLIQUE CARPET

12.IX.2014 (MV)
BRIMSTONE 1
SPRUCE CARPET 2
CANARY SHOULDERED THORN 2
ROSY RUSTIC 1
LYU 1
COMMON MARBLED CARPET 1
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC 1
FROSTED ORANGE 1

12.IX.2014 (ACTINIC)
JULY HIGHFLYER 4
COPPER UNDERWING 3
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC 1
SPRUCE CARPET 1

SPRUCE CARPET

13.IX.2014 (MV)
ROSY RUSTIC 1
GREEN BRINDLED-CRESCENT 1
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC 2
LARGE WAINSCOT 1

LARGE WAINSCOT

13.IX.2014 (ACTINIC)
COMMON MARBLED CARPET 1
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC 1
JULY HIGH FLYER 5
GREEN-BRINDLED CRESCENT 1
SPRUCE CARPET 1
PINION-STREAKED SNOUT 1
LYU 1

GREEN-BRINDLED CRESCENT
PINION-STREAKED SNOUT

Nick.
Last edited by nickcandlish on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nickcandlish

Postby IainH » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:21 pm

Hi Nick,

Great to hear about your new trap. Did you buy a battery operated trap to allow you to trap away from home (on trips away or in the countryside)?

I’ve read that positioning two traps beside each other results in a combined catch which is smaller than the total you’d get if you’d placed the two traps far apart. I find the opposite. When I put out a 125W MV Robinson trap with a 15W actinic Heath trap beside it, the combined catch is greater than if the two traps were put out separately. I’m guessing that the clouds of the moths that would ordinarily simply circle the MV and never enter it end up being drawn into the actinic trap. This combination seems to be particularly good at pulling in lots of large noctuids to the actinic trap. I don’t know if it matters, but I tend to have the MV trap 2m off the ground and the actinic heath 1m off the ground, with about 2m between the traps. The traps are already on a slope and I try to give them as much extra height as possible (having read somewhere that increased height boosts catches).

Iain
IainH

Postby nickcandlish » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:41 pm

Iain,
Sort of brought about by an old record of mine of The Butterbur which according to Neill Gregory was 1st for VC75. There are large stands of Butterbur locally and I thought it might be interesting to try and refind it, this allied to the fact that odd species turn up here during or just after a strong SW wind presumably eminating from old woodland rather less than half a mile to the south of me which is shown on 17th C maps. I hope to get permission to trap within the old woods, maybe the results will be interesting, who knows, only time will tell.
As to going further afield I think that I'll keep to NS42 for the forseeable future simply because there is a danger of becoming a 'loose cannon'. Better, I think, to do a defined recording area thoroughly.
With regard to trap placement I must say I'd given it no thought at all. The first night that I lit the actinic it was placed, as in the photo, on top of one of my woodstores with insulating tape wrapped around the light sensor after I'd realised that the Robinson had caused it to switch off. I initially thought that the tube had blown...you can only guess at the language!!
With regard to security for let's face it is a significant investment, how do you cope?

Nick.
Last edited by nickcandlish on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nickcandlish

Postby IainH » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:15 am

Hi Nick,

That sounds great. I’m sure there must be a few other Ayrshire firsts flying around NS42. I look forward with interest to hearing what turns up in the trap.

Security is a big issue. In the whole of Stevenston, there are only a tiny number of places where I feel confident that I can leave traps overnight. No place is 100% secure, but some are 99.9% secure! For example, one trapping site requires a 1km walk from the nearest active road and a long scramble though a large scrubby area before emerging into an opening surrounded by dense Gorse and Broom. The chances of the trap being stumbled upon are very small. Furthermore, nobody in the vicinity can see the 15W actinic light source because the trapping site is surrounded by tall scrub.

If I were scouting out a new trapping site, I’d look for a location where next to nobody goes (i.e. away from paths and roads) and which can’t be seen from a long way away (e.g. in a large hollow or in the middle of a patch of scrub). The ideal secure trapping site in an area of ancient woodland would be in a clearing in some dense woodland edge scrub (perhaps dense, regenerating Birch scrub). Such places are hard to find though and often require a lot of patience, imagination and wading through jaggy bushes!

Iain
IainH

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:54 pm

All,
With one exception a week, I'm afraid, of not much interest but some nervous amusement... Orange Sallow on the 19th I thought was a new species for my home site but rather to my dissapointment on checking back found that I'd recorded it previously 3.ix.1996. On the strength of this I decided to break out the sugar for the first time in many years and annoint a very large Lime Tree adjacent to the site, predictably the cloud cover vanished and the temp' dropped to 4c, unsurprisingly when I checked later in the evening not a moth of any description was to be seen.

SUGAR

SECRET INGREDIENT
I'm led to believe that just a drop or two of Amyl Acetate much improves the attraction of sugar, I've taped over the suppliers name because thy really shouldn't have let me have it!

On the 18th I broke one of my golden rules and went trespassing...
To give this a sense of scale the Oak in the foreground is 15 feet in girth at chest hight. I thought that the trap position was enclosed enough that nobody would be able to see the light, however when I peered out of the bedroom window at bed time an eerie glow was quite visible! Given that the owner of the woodland and I don't speak you can only guess at my relief the following morning finding the trap where I had left it. All that nervous energy expended for a Copper Underwing, Red Green Carpet, Red Line Quaker and a couple of very worn LYU's !!

14.ix.2014 (MV)
COMMON MARBLED CARPET 1
LYU 2
THE CHEVRON 1

15.ix.2014 (MV)
ANGLE SHADES 1
BRIMSTONE 2
LYU 3
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC 4
CANARY SHOULDERED THORN 2
THE FLAME 1
COPPER UNDERWING 1
JULY HIGHFLYER 1

16.ix.2014 (MV)

16.ix.2014 (ACTINIC)
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC 3
FROSTED ORANGE 1
LYU 2
JULY HIGHFLYER 1

17.ix.2014 (MV)
BRIMSTONE 2
THE SNOUT 1
ROSY RUSTIC 2
LYU 2

18.ix.2014 (MV)
BRIMSTONE 2
FLAME CARPET 1
LYU 1
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC 3
THE SNOUT 1
FROSTED ORANGE 1
ROSY RUSTIC 1
PINION STREAKED SNOUT 1

18.ix.2014 (ACTINIC)
COPPER UNDERWING
RED GREEN CARPET 1
RED LINE QUAKER 1
LYU 2

RED GREEN CARPET
RED LINE QUAKER

19.ix.2014 (MV)
STRAW DOT 1
BRINDLED GREEN 1
ROSY RUSTIC 2
LYU 2
PINK BARRED SALLOW 1
INGRAILED CLAY 1
ORANGE SALLOW 1
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC 3

19.ix.2014 (ACTINIC)
LYU 2
JULY HIGHFLYER 1
SPRUCE CARPET 1
COMMON MARBLED CARPET 1

BRINDLED GREEN
ORANGE SALLOW
PINK BARRED SALLOW

20.ix.2014 (MV)
ROSY RUSTIC 2
COMMON MARBLED CARPET 1
SQUARE SPOT RUSTIC 2
BRIMSTONE 1

20.ix.2014 (ACTINIC)
Off on my travels again, this time to some mixed woodland surrounding a presently dried up burn, Oak and Beech being the predominent species. To my alarm I noticed that the biggest Oaks with straight trunks have been numbered, presumably prior to felling.
The result? One COMMON MARBLED CARPET a rather small weevil and a few Trichoptera.

Nick.
nickcandlish

PreviousNext

Return to Moth sightings