Gadgirth moth trapping 2014

Post reports of moth sightings and reports from South West Scotland

Re: Gadgirth moth trapping 2014

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:38 pm

All,
With the decent weather appearing to be coming to an end, (which it has with a vengence!!), I lit both traps on the night of the fourth for a nil catch.
Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:21 am

All,
When the storm finally abated on Friday I lit up the MV, a couple of Mottled Umber soon appeared on the wall behind the trap one of which appeared sulphur yellow in the light from the trap. In daylight, although a well marked specimen, it wasn't really that yellow.
Gave the MV another go on Saturday night for a nil return.

MOTTLED UMBER
MOTTLED UMBER

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:16 pm

All,
Time, I think, to draw a line under this blog and thank all those who have taken the time to follow it and on occasion correct my mis ID's!
My origenal intention was to provide a twelve month snapshot of what occurs in this corner of NS42 and it must be said that a good summer and exceptional autumn have combined to rather flatter that intention. For the record I've trapped on 191 nights this year (excluding 'no catch') and recorded 3847 macro's representing 172 species (2012 produced 163 species, and 2013 141).
As to 2015 I'm only going to post matters of interest / new species from my garden site because a week by week account is bound to be little more, or less, than a repeat of this year.
I've got my eye on a significant area of 'moss' habitat which is secluded enough for me to leave a trap out unattended, always assuming that I can gain permission to do so.....we'll see. It may form the basis of an 'Itinerant Moth Trapper' blog!!

Wishing everybody a Happy New Year and good trapping.
Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby IainH » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:46 pm

Hi Nick,

Many thanks for all the time and effort you put into your regular 2014 blog updates. It’s been illuminating - particularly because your trapping site is surrounded by significantly different woodland habitat than mine.

Trapping on a moss would, sooner or later, turn-up some really interesting stuff. I look forward to reading about your further moth trapping exploits.

Iain
IainH

Previous

Return to Moth sightings