Gadgirth moth trapping 2014

Post reports of moth sightings and reports from South West Scotland

Gadgirth moth trapping 2014

Postby nickcandlish » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Although there is little to report I thought it was time to get this thread up and running!
Twice towards the end of February I put the trap on only for the weather to change for the worse, being mean I switched it off to save electricity. On the 7th March I ran it overnight and had one Pale Brindled Beauty on the wall behind the trap prior to going to bed..... I don't recollect ever having one of this species enter the trap.
8th, 14th, 15th and 21st of March had the trap on all night for not a moth on the wall or in the trap! On the 22nd was rewarded (?) by one Hebrew Character and one Common Quaker, better than nothing I suppose!
Three specimens representing three species from six nights trapping when compared with last year is poor indeed, by the end of March 2013 I'd run the trap on 22 occasions for 49 specimens representing 8 species with 9 blank sessions.
For comparison 2013 records to the end of March..
Angle Shades 1
Pale Brindled Beauty 34
March Moth 3
Dotted Border 2
Hebrew Character 6
Oak Beauty 1
The Satellite 1
The Chestnut 1
Proving nothing I suppose other than incessant wind and rain makes for poor trapping results, which do not necessarily mean that the moths are not present.

Nick
nickcandlish

Re: Gadgirth moth trapping 2014

Postby nickcandlish » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:59 pm

Little of interest to report I'm afraid, night of the 28th was wet and windy with a catch of...
HEBREW CHARACTER x4
CLOUDED DRAB x1

With slightly better weather the following night produced...
CLOUDED DRAB x2
HEBREW CHARACTER x2
COMMON QUAKER x3

During the week commencing Monday 24th I found three specimens indoors of (I think) Cork Moth, Nemapogon cloacella. It appears to be a little early for this species however having consulted,(per Sterling and Parsons reccomendation) MABGBI Vol.2 it seems that the other species within this easily confused genus are unlikley to occur here, that allied to a distinct anvil shaped mark eminating from the costa makes me reasonably confident of my I.D.
When I get to grips with image hosting I'll post images.

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby IainH » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi Nick,

Good to see your thread started - and that you're wrestling with an interesting micro moth conundrum so early in the year. The weather has been pretty poor! I think the best that Ayrshire folk can hope for in the next week or two is a mild lull between depressions.

Iain
IainH

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:01 pm

I've been toiling over this image hosting business and hope to show image of Cork Moth below. If I've got it right it will allow me to bring this thread up to date with some images!
[imgImage][/img]

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:57 pm

All,
Well, so far so good.The image is still a bit on the big side despite having resized it to 640x480, I think this was the maximum size allowed on this forum when you could upload images directly from your own PC.
Prehaps Iain could reply and let me know what size his images are.

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby ron » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:56 am

Hi Nick,
Nice photo the old limit was 100kb, if you are not drawing memory from this site does size matter. Try 300px x 400px.
Ron.
ron

Postby nickcandlish » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:12 am

All,
Thus far April has been unremarkable, just the usual culprits fo thi time of year, and not many of them.....

5.iv.2014
HEBREW CHARACTER 2
COMMON QUAKER 4
CLOUDED DRAB 3
TWIN SPOTTED QUAKER 2
SMALL QUAKER 1

6.iv.2014
COMMON QUAKER 1
CLOUDED DRAB 1
SMALL QUAKER

11.iv.2014
COMMON QUAKER 1
WATER CARPET 1

12.iv.2014
NO CATCH

17.iv.2014
COMMON QUAKER 1
CLOUDED DRAB 4
HEBREW CHARACTER 3
EARLY THORN 1

18.iv.2014
HEBREW CHARACTER 4
CLOUDED DRAB 2
COMMON QUAKER 1

19.iv.2014
HEBREW CHARACTER 3
WATER CARPET 3
CLOUDED DRAB 4
COMMON QUAKER 1
PARSNIP MOTH (In woodshed) 1

20.iv.2014
HEBREW CHARACTER 2
COMMON QUAKER 1

[imgImage][/img]
[imgImage][/img]
[imgImage][/img]
[imgImage][/img]

Nick.
Last edited by nickcandlish on Tue May 13, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nickcandlish

Postby IainH » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi Nick,

My previous instructions re. posting pictures were not as clear as they could have been. I can't type an example of the exact code that one should use to post photos, because the code gets recognised by the software and turns into a photo. So I attach below a picture of the relevant text one should use to post photos. As you can see, it consists of an img tag in square brackets and then a close img tag in square brackets. The code you used to post your photos was ALMOST right, but in one of my browsers the photos didn't appear and in another browser they do appear, but are sandwiched between a few letters of code. This is almost certainly a result of the clumsy instructions in my previous post.

My photos are 600 pixels in width. I take a photo; open it in Photoshop; 'cut it out' in Photoshop - that is, use the rectangular selection tool to select to portion of the image I'm interested in (i.e. the moth!); paste the selection into a new Photoshop file, then resize the image to 600 pixels in width (height is scaled automatically by the program and is usually about 420 pixels).

Iain
IainH

Postby nickcandlish » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:24 pm

Iain,
I'm sort of getting to grips with this image hosting, had to do it before years ago when I did some competitive fly tying and it became second nature. As a process it is clumsier than simply uploading from ones own PC but like most processes once you can do it without thinking the additional time incurred is minimal. A bit more practise and I'll be able to title the images (annoyingly although titled on Photobucket the title seems not to transfer with the image)

Butterflies have been more interesting than moths this weekend... Orange Tip, Green Veined White, Peacock, Small Tortoishell all in abundance.

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Sun May 04, 2014 10:08 am

All,
Finally some signs of improvement, although not borne out by last weekends catch...

25.iv.2014
NO CATCH

26.iv.2014
CLOUDED DRAB 5
COMMON QUAKER 2
PARSNIP MOTH 2

2.v.2014
CLOUDED DRAB
HEBREW CHARACTER 1
SMALL QUAKER 1
EARLY THORN 1
LEAST BLACK ARCHES 1
FLAME CARPET 1
COXCOMB PROMINENT 1
BROWN SILVER-LINE 1
LEAST BLACK ARCHES

FLAME CARPET

COXCOMB PROMINENT

Image [/img]
BROWN SILVER-LINE

3.v.2014 was a bit of a let down,however it was nice to see pale form of CLOUDED DRAB, it seems to be unusual here.
HEBREW CHARACTER 1
CLOUDED DRAB 4
CLOUDED DRAB

The forecast for tonight isn't good but I'll give it a bash as I'm on holiday tomorrow.
Nick.
Last edited by nickcandlish on Tue May 13, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
nickcandlish

Next

Return to Moth sightings