Meathhill Moths

Post reports of moth sightings and reports from South West Scotland

Meathhill Moths

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:27 pm

Hi everybody,

Meathhill is an extensive area of rough grassland, moor and forestry between Sorn and Muirkirk. Went today for Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary but left it to late this year and none seen. Did a bit of netting for moths and got:

Silver ground Carpet
Common Carpet
Barred Straw
Common Wainscot

By a large pond:

Brown China Mark

By this time the clegs were awful and even biting me through a pretty thick shirt. I quickly swatted at a few other moths and looked at them once back in the car. Two new species for me:

Haworth's Minor
Ingrailed Clay

An aspiration for next year would be to get a trap to some of these out of the way places. I first got involved with this site years ago when Butterfly Conservation were doing the atlas research. A list was produced for certain species for boxes where no recent work had been done. SPBF had previously been recorded at the site and I went there and found it again. I suppose for moths, just about any square could be selected! Or maybe not - there has to be more people than those contributing to this forum who are submitting records. Let us know where you are! Maybe the CR can produce a map.

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Re: Meathhill Moths

Postby IainH » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:32 pm

Hi Alistair,

Great to hear ‘sweeping reports’. I’d meant to do that myself after I purchased the new Micro ID book, but have yet to get into the swing of things (excuse the pun).

I guess one of the interesting things about mothing in Ayrshire is that, especially with a bit of mobile trapping, it’s not too difficult to discover a few new species for the county list. I guess you wouldn’t have to run too many traps on moorland before you came across a few county firsts.

Regarding targeting sites, I’m sure that there’s a lengthy and interesting debate to be had about what the priority sites should be: sites that lie within squares that have hardly any moth records; LBAP habitats (i.e. raised bogs and ‘the coast’); unusual sites from which very few records have been reported (e.g. rocky coastline); potentially threatened sites; sites where active habitat management can take place in reaction to moth records; etc.

Iain
IainH

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:25 pm

Hi everybody,

at this site today for butterflies (see butterfly forum) but got some day flying moths too:

Common Heath 2 (males)
Mother Shipton 2

Also a very attractively marked micro which I have ID'd as:

Phiaris schulziana 1

Possibly a new micro record for Ayrshire.

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:48 pm

Hi everybody,

just a bit too midgy today to do a lot of net sweeping and book searching, but lots of Silver Ground Carpet, Common Heath and Latticed Heath. Also:

Red-necked Footman 2
Oak/Northern Eggar 5 (at least that's what I think these really fast and big day fliers are. Never managed to catch one yet).

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Return to Moth sightings