Eglinton Moths

Post reports of moth sightings and reports from South West Scotland

Re: Eglinton Moths

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi everybody,

various underwings this morning, and lots of July Highflyers - mostly very worn out. Also:

Centre-barred Sallow
Dotted Clay
Mouse Moth
Small square Spot
Common Carpet
Frosted Orange

This last one new for site. I really admired it in your recent photo, Iain, and impressed by it in reality too. I got a micro which you've had at Stevenston:

Acleris forsskaleana

Shall give the moths a break for a few days now,

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Hi everybody,

I discovered a new technique for mothing today - no traps, nets or other paraphernalia. Simply walk through dense undergrowth and see what moths have stuck to your clothing. In this way I got a very nice Pink-barred Sallow, a lovely moth and new for site. However just in case this was a complete fluke(!) I have put the trap out tonight too.

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Postby IainH » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:52 pm

Hi Alistair,

I find the random-moth-on-clothes phenomenon can sometimes be very frustrating if you’ve walked a few miles round various traps and then take off your rucksack to find a new species of micro moth roosting there. Having no idea where it came from - what trap or what random bush - you have no idea what site list to add the species to!

Iain
IainH

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi everybody,

no moths sticking to me today, so had a look in the trap:

Large Yellow Underwing - 3
Rosy Rustic - 3
July Highflyer - 2
Centre-barred Sallow - 2
Flame Carpet
Canary shouldered Thorn
Frosted Orange

Rosy Rustic new for site 2 very fresh and 1 smaller size and quite worn.

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:23 pm

Hi everybody,

turned cold last night and horrible rainy morning, but still caught a nice Canary-shouldered Thorn. I will try again in a couple of days. Meantime, did a bit of tallying up, and over 70 new species for the site added this year, taking the total to 120.

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Postby ron » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:59 am

Hi Alistair,
Nice to see you are still catching moths would love to see a Thorn of any kind, catch wise myself total 116 for the garden lost some but there is always next year. As for the Portable covered the bowl with tin foil thinking, a torch without a reflector is really not up to much, so hopefully tinfoil will increase the Portables range unfortunately weather is against me. Hoping to put the trap out ( garden ) over the weekend temp supposed to go up but so is the wind, might be to heavy but i`ll try.

Ron
ron

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:11 am

Hi Ron,

supposedly an "indian summer" this weekend - lets see if that includes the wet and windy west of Scotland.

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:01 pm

Hi everybody,

a Copper Underwing found in one of the buildings at Eglinton today. Still alive and I got a good look at the palps and pale all the way down so not Svenssons. Looks like temp could hold up tonight so trap out and fingers crossed for some late season moths.

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:49 pm

Hi everybody,

temperature held up but not many moths this morning - one Mouse Moth and three worn Common Marbled Carpets. Maybe I should broaden my interests - there were also a whole bunch of wasps, a shield bug and a black and red burying beetle. When I let this last one go it immediately produced a big pair of wings and flew off at high speed.

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi everybody,

mild weather continues and some nice fresh moths this morning:

Canary-shouldered Thorn - 2
Gold Spot
Rosy Rustic
July Highflyer
Red-green Carpet

The last one NFS,