Eglinton Moths

Post reports of moth sightings and reports from South West Scotland

Re: Eglinton Moths

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:43 pm

Hi Ron,

putting the trap out once a week or so right through winter might catch a few moths. Its worth a try anyway,

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi everybody,

temperature was about 10-11C last night, and this morning a male December Moth, and a micro - Agonopterix heracliana.

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Postby ron » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:29 am

Hi Alistair
Nice to see you are having success, what trap are you using.
Ron
ron

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi Ron,

the trap is a kind of home made Skinner type with a mains powered 125W mercury vapour bulb. I have kept setting the trap just to see what turns up. I am intrigued by these late season moths. I wonder what the advantage is of adults emerging when there is no (or little) flowers for nectar. It turns out that December moth does not feed anyway.

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Postby IainH » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:50 am

Hi Alistair,

It is a lot more rewarding (and a bit surreal) having something in your trap at this time of year than in summer. If you do keep trapping through December, then I’m guessing that it’s only a matter of time until you get a Winter Moth or Northern Winter Moth. In winter, apparently, moths sometimes display a greater tendency to sit on the outside of the trap rather than venture in.

Iain
IainH

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi Iain,

I better have a look round the trap before I open it. Feels coldish tonight but put it out anyway. I have a kind of rule of thumb that if I get nil on three consecutive trapping sessions I will give it up for a bit- and it hasn't happened yet, but I'm not trapping every night,

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Previous

Return to Moth sightings