Point & Shoot

Post reports of moth sightings and reports from South West Scotland

Point & Shoot

Postby ron » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:48 am

HI all,
Not original post but something i always wanted to do, take a picture of a fly`s eye.
Camera Samsung S 1065
Extension tube 45mm long just enough to clear the camera lens when it`s fully extended (plumbers fitting B&Q)
Front lens from a Minolta Image 5 or 7 same lens one where the camera is broken. When used on the extension tube it must be REVERSED.
Operation use the telephoto function of the camera to enlarge to the size required, then push the camera in or out to control the focus. Really simple.

Last edited by ron on Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
ron

Re: Point & Shoot

Postby IainH » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi Ron,

Interesting to see your creativity applied to optics. I hope you don't mind me playing about with your image in Photoshop and re-posting. I re-post a tweaked version to illustrate that the quality of image is good. I think the main problem causing blurriness is that depth of field is VERY small, as you'd expect from a macro setup. As a result, only a tiny bit of the fly is in focus; the rest is out of focus. There are a few hairs that are sharp, but everything closer and further away is out of focus. One solution to this is to take several photos from the same spot, each one focussing on a different part of the fly, and then combine all the photos in 'focus stacking' software. I've never used such software, but the following, random link hopefully explains what I'm suggesting: http://www.broadhurst-family.co.uk/left ... mbinez.htm Although Ideally you would have a camera with a manual focus so that you could take a quick succession of photos whilst you gradually change the part of the fly you're focussed on, I'm guessing that if you took a photo with you compact camera, took your finger right off the shutter button and then reapplied your finger (i.e. refocussed), the camera would attempt again to focus and may well focus on a slightly different area (i.e. a different hair). Doing this a few times might give you enough images to be focus-stacked.

A second problem, I'm guessing, is that the camera is struggling to set the correct exposure - it's overexposing. Another possibility (perhaps acting in addition to the exposure issue) is that there is some 'ghosting' going on. That is, there are internal reflection in your new lens: light is entering the lens (as you'd hope!), but some of the light that goes into the lens is reflecting off the lens' internal surfaces and this reflected light is making its way into the camera, contributing to the washed-out image with degraded contrast. Your lens is grey, which is more reflective than black, and looks like it might be more reflective/shiny than it could be. Ideally, the inside walls of the lens would be covered with a black, non-reflective material.

I'm not an expert by any means; take my thoughts with a pinch of salt!

Iain
Attachments
Ron fly.JPG
Ron's fly Photoshopped
IainH

Postby ron » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi Iain.
Can`t really find the photo`s for this post but they were a little better.
Last edited by ron on Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
ron

Postby IainH » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:05 pm

Hi Ron,

Wow, that’s a big jump in quality. Regarding getting a still photo from a movie file, there are I’m sure many bits of software that do it; however, one possible free (but fiddly) way to do it is to play your movie clip onscreen, pause at the frame you want a photo from and then, using your keyboard’s prntscrn key, try what is suggested in the second post in the following thread…(I don’t use Linux, so can’t talk from personal experience.)
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/newbie ... linux.html

I share your bewilderment when it comes to photo editing software. For complex software tasks, I often search Youtube for phrases like ‘how to fix colour balance in photoshop’ to find a step-by-step guide with someone actually going through all the menus and onscreen clicks. A GIMP example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hvr3NkXcmk

Iain
IainH

Postby ron » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:16 am

Iain,
This is a combination i have never shown before same camera but this time using a Miranda Focabell S set of bellows. Remove the fitting from the bellows the one that would attach it to the camera, the aperture that is left fits exactly the lens flange on the S1065. This was the set up used when taking photo`s of leaf mines.

Last edited by ron on Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
ron

Postby ron » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:26 am

Hi Iain,
This time i am using a Samsung WB500 and the extension is made from an FEBREZE air freshener container the length i can`t remember but it was about 80mm.
The front lens is just the same remember it is REVERSED. This time the pic quality was really nice.

Last edited by ron on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
ron

Postby ron » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:36 am

This is my final set up same camera WB500
Same front lens Dimage7 REVERSED
Extension this time 130mm in length which i feel is really the limit for this camera
And for the first time a focusing rail which really helps at the high magnification end.
The spider 1.5mm and space between the lines 1mm both hand held.
Rap two layers of electrical tape around camera lens flange before fitting extension tube make a good fit, also fitting a lens adapter allows the lens to be removed for cleaning.

Last edited by ron on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
ron

Postby ron » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:51 am

Hi All
These are some of the photos i posted in the wrong section recently, just really an update of what has go on before. If there is any interest out there i will do my best to re-edit this section.

Ron
ron

Postby ron » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:42 am

Last year i did say i would use my Sony hx-50 when i understood it a little better, using the same extension 135mm it has to be widened out to fit over the camera flange which is a little bigger in circumference than the WB500. This is done by cutting a series of cuts around the circumference and opening it up like the front end of a rag man`s trumpet then wrapped in fibreglass. Also needed is some sort of cover to shade the camera LCD in my case fitted with a mag. glass but still working on it.

The Phylonorycter which i found a few days ago is P. rajella. I am quite happy with the magnification but can go larger if needed all photo`s are taken with the moth still inside the freezer bag was afraid it might fly off. 1st photo moth is in the centre 2nd photo it`s upside down but still alive.

Ron
ron

Postby ron » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:08 am

Since my last post i have been modifying my bellows to take wb500 and also made myself a LCD hood only to learn you can buy them on ebay two on order but have not yet arrived.
Meanwhile i have been waiting the arrival of L.clerkella which have been coming to my garden for a few years now. First saw this one on 31st of May and potted it up,next day the lava appeared which shows it was in the garden for a few days.

Had a look in the garden again and here was another hanging by it`s silk thread blowing in the wind which i duly plucked and looked for a container. Have you ever tried opening a jar with a tight lid and a larva dangling from your finger with a silk thread not easy. Put the first one in a square jar thinking it would be easier for it to sling it`s hammock so to speak only to learn that i could not use my extensions or bellows because the neck of the jar was too narrow.

So i had to use my Sony here are some of the results, Day1and Day2 have the same image, Day3 thru Day7 have exact same image outline of the larva has gone,Day8 things look to be changing.

Day1

Day2

Day3 Thru to Day7 image the same

Day8 Notice something happening to the head end

Day 9 You will notice that it has turned black

Day10 The Day it emerged

The next two images are taken with the modified bellows and the larva in a shallower container.

The object of all this is to try and get a photo live of L clerkella touch wood.
Edited 2/8/16

Ron
Last edited by ron on Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ron

Next

Return to Moth sightings