recording

Post reports of moth sightings and reports from South West Scotland

recording

Postby ron » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:49 am

Hi All
Feel a bit of a loss this morning no doubt you have all received a request from our CR. regarding moth count. Well i did sent away a species list 72 of which were found in the garden ( not counting micros ) and also explained that on the forum he could find Months, Days of the Month and in some cases photos of most moths. Back came the reply that he was too busy and had no time to read the forum along with a form to download which like sky news goes on and on and on. So i ask myself what`s the point i thought that was the idea of having a forum which means all the good work by done by Iain, Nick and to a lesser extent myself will not be recorded unless put on this form well nicht ich as the Germans would say.
Ron
ron

Re: recording

Postby IainH » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi Ron,

Yeah, the pragmatics of recording can be a pain: having to write down what you see and then organise it (often re-writing it) is perhaps the most tedious part of mothing. The job of CR, I can imagine, is a thankless one and I guess the suicide rate among CRs would shoot-up if they had to take off forums a note of every Large Yellow Underwing caught by posters over the past year! I’ve taken about 550 of my records from the forum and entered them into a spreadsheet, doing about 150 a day. In a week or two I’ll send off all my records. Doing a bit at a time is the only way to say sane. I should really enter records in a spreadsheet as I go along!

Iain
IainH

Postby ron » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:05 am

Hi Iain
Sorry i`ve taken so long to respond having lost most of my records ( finger problem ) having to download 90% of what i uploaded. However having thought long and hard i feel it better to say nothing except to say there is only 3 of us. Ayrshire Moths are only the ones i care about, not how many but how many species that can be found and to that end i may be selfish. Before i lost my records we were nearing the 300 mark not counting micros so i will have to start again, looking forward to what may be caught in winter, also don`t know if any herald`s have been caught this year maybe still early but used to find them at Sorn.
Ron
ron

Postby ron » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:01 pm

Hi All,
With response to what i have just read in Iain`s latest stevenson post ( not written by him )
It seems that time of the year again HATE RON WEEK which i had enough of last year, fed up seeing Ron said this Ron said that etc.
What i would like to know is why ScottD keeps picking on me is that because i speak the truth, we now 4, are also volunteers who give up our time and money ( expense of running traps and visiting places to find maybe rare species ) and also take time to record them on this site now if we can do that surely it`s not to much to ask that the powers at be to at least show an interest.
When it is said that CR`s round the country don`t receive many records maybe because people like us are also fed up with the situation. Remember if it was not for people like us there would be nothing to record in the first place. Time the situation was sorted out, also note people long before us have been sending in records to this site, yet there is still no species list for VC75. Take D&G for example they have a list for 3 VC`s really i could go on.

Ron
ron

Postby ScottD » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:23 pm

ron wrote:What i would like to know is why ScottD keeps picking on me

I am not picking on you, Ron. I am merely trying to make all aware of the situation as it stands & you seem to be the only one that doesn't seem to get it.

it`s not to much to ask that the powers at be to at least show an interest.

they/we do. Otherwise I wouldn't bother responding to you & trying to guide you down the path ...

When it is said that CR`s round the country don`t receive many records maybe because people like us are also fed up with the situation.

Possible but I don't think so. More an indication of how underground moth recording is & simply a lack of participants.

Time the situation was sorted out, also note people long before us have been sending in records to this site,
which as explained as far as registering records to the VCRs is wasted effort as they don't get to VC Recorders that way. If you can put a post in a forum surely you can cut & paste into an email?

yet there is still no species list for VC75. Take D&G for example they have a list for 3 VC`s
D&G is a bit different as their records are handled by the Dumfries & Galloway Records Centre with funded staff.
ScottD

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:01 pm

Hi everybody,

yes the administration of recording (anything) can get a bit tedious, but with so few people recording moths then I reckon it worthwhile to spend a bit of time putting records into the CR's preferred format. It is possible to cut down a bit by for example, deciding that in this year I will just submit micros, next year macros or suchlike. Or for a site regularly trapped just to submit new for site. Any records are better than no records I would say.

Regarding the cost of trips to record, Butterfly Conservation will pay a mileage allowance for volunteers. Yes, more administration - you have to complete a simple form, but it does recompense petrol money which can be quite costly.

On a lighter note, unless the weather picks up I cant see much time being required to make up records this year - my tally so far for my back garden is an underwhelming 4 moths!

Good luck and best wishes to everybody who finds time to observe and record wildlife,

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Postby ron » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:18 pm

Sorry for the late reply had to go up to Crosshouse just to see someone.
i would like to say the truth hurts, and i will go further can you explain to people why you sent me an e-mail last year threatening me that i was going to be pulled, or the e-mail you sent me where you said you might get me free subscription which i declined. Are you aware it was Ron who got a CR to VC75 in the first place i know how she was selected, have read the e-mails further than that i will keep to myself, and let it be known i wish the women no ill will whatsoever so get that into your head . I am now at the ripe old age of 74 + and through life or may be work i have met people like you before, truth is i can`t really print what i would really like to say people can get into trouble for such things now a days. It may just well be that you are the one that doesn`t really get it. Do you not realize the benefit it would be to have a CR take part in this forum.
Have managed to delete some of my posts with luck i might get the rest done tomorrow, so now all i need to do now for the next 6 years if i live that long is sit back and enjoy your contribution to VC75 who knows you might through in a trap or two and might find some moths that we havn`t. Don`t really know your talents but you certainly know how to annoy people
So go ahead and pull what you threatened to pull won`t bother me one way or the other.

Alistair,
Have to say you are beating me on the moth count this year, but i do have 1 in the pupal stage the other still a larva both i think new for the garden.
Ron
ron

Postby ScottD » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:11 am

Ron, I never, ever said anything about "pulling you" - I don't know where you got that from.
Yes, I did offer you a free 6 month or 1 year membership to BC form but I have done that for many people & indeed it's a regular offer on Butterfly Conservation's national website.
I don't know why you would think that I would think that you might wish the VCR ill will.
Nothing is preventing anybody (VCR or not) from taking part in this forum.
ScottD

Postby ron » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:44 am

Well,Well what short memory you have, the reason it stuck in mine is because i had never heard the term before and till recently never knew what it meant so when i say you are lying you are LYING. For 40 odd years i was a Licensed Aircraft Engineer and in that profession you do not lie, i also happen to be born in AYR where honest men and bonny lassies still prevails today.
To the rest of you,
When this all started Iain and i used to bemoan the fact that no one really took any interest on moths, i did state the fact that Scott Shanks did show an interest and would reply to anyone with anything related to butterflies. Things have slightly change now and it has taken me 5 years, yes 5 years to get someone dedicated to the interests of moths in VC75 our new CR. The next step now is to try and get our CR ( male or female ) to take part in the forum, maybe not now, maybe not next year but sometime, similar to what they have in Scottish Moths with Roy Lev, Neil Greg and so on and a chap Nigel don`t know who he really is but he is good. Not saying it will be as good as Scottish Moths but you never know. So now do you get it, you know it is quite true there are none so blind as those who cannot see.
If you are looking for new members i`ll make an offer You quit and i`ll join
ron

Postby ron » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:45 pm

HI All,
Now that i have exposed him for what he really is we can make this the final chapter and let the boy`s back to reporting what they find ( you can lie to your wife but not to me ).
Why do you think i deleted most of my posts in the first place because i was threatened with being pulled and would have had no redress to delete them later, i was not going to leave them to a person like him who in years to come could say anything.
Iain sorry for leaving the site in such a mess ( have a feeling that you are no longer the webmaster )if you are sorry again, did like your last set of micro`s.
So lets all get back to normal although for me will never be the same.
Ron
ron

Next

Return to Moth sightings