GADGIRTH MOTH TRAPPING 2017

Post reports of moth sightings and reports from South West Scotland

GADGIRTH MOTH TRAPPING 2017

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:38 pm

All,
Had both actinic and MV out last weekend (10/11th). The MV produced 1 Hebrew Character and 1 Oak Beauty and the Actinic a number of Hebrew Character, Common Quaker, Clouded Drab and March Moth along with singletons of Oak Beauty and Early Thorn, surprisingly not one Pale Brindled Beauty put in an appearance despite numerous checks around the traps (I've never had one actually in a trap). Oak Beauty was especially pleasing because I last recorded it in 2013 and at best it is local in Ayrshire. This weekend has been a washout I haven't trapped.
OAK BEAUTY

Nick.
nickcandlish

Re: GADGIRTH MOTH TRAPPING 2017

Postby ScottD » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:05 am

Lovely moth, I wish that I got them here.
ScottD

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:09 pm

All,
A pretty unremarkable weekend from a mothing perspective. Lots of Hebrew characters and Clouded Drabs in both traps. A single Early Grey and two
Red Sword Grass added a bit of interest particularly the latter which I've only seen twice before, both in November 2014. Clearly the two that showed up this weekend were overwintered although looked absolutely fresh.
CLOUDED DRAB
EARLY GREY
RED SWORD GRASS

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:38 pm

All,
This week has been notable because of the sheer numbers of moths, obviously given the time of year the species count has been low but it provided one new species for my site, Mottled Grey, also Shoulder Stripe which I've only seen before a handful of times. Twin Spotted Quaker ab. immaculata has been almost as frequent as the nominate form, normally I only see one or two a year. Last night provided the first micro of the year, Diurnia fagella, just for once one that I could ID with some confidence!
EARLY THORN
SHOULDER STRIPE
MOTTLED GREY
TWIN SPOTTED QUAKERS Nominate form and immaculata
DIURNEA FAGELLA
Adding to this, I forgot to mention Engrailed...a species that I see only occasionally and normally so worn that family, shape and time of year become factors in the ID, just for once a nice fresh example.
ENGRAILED

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Mon May 01, 2017 2:00 pm

All,
Since my previous update there has been little of interest to report. Despite the rather cold weather the ubiquitous spring species have all been abundant with a smattering of less common species to lift my spirits a bit. Dark Sword Grass has shown up three times, I've never seen it in spring before but judging by comments on the Scottish Moths forum there has been an early influx of them this year. A single and early Nut Tree Tussock appeared last night, the only April example I've seen here. Also last night a single Pale Pinion, my second record of this species, the previous one being 23.x.2012. A nice fresh
Early Tooth Striped on the 7th was pleasing as was a quite delightful lilac tinted example of The Streamer on the 21st
DARK SWORD GRASS
PALE PINION
EARLY TOOTH STRIPED
THE STREAMER

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:37 pm

All,
May has been characterised by decent weather for once and accordingly catches have been quite good but not very remarkable with a few exceptions...
I've noted quite an influx of Silver Y both in the trap and also when out with the dogs, a single Turnip Moth was in the trap last weekend, also an immigrant species that I only see rarely. Herald was a surprise, last record was 2012. A couple of Common Lutestring, Map Winged Swift ab. gallicus, and White Pinion Spotted have comprised the sum total of species that I don't regard as so common that I expect them. White Pinion Spotted seems to be a VC75 2nd record, it is a species that is moving north although there are still few Scottish records. Buff Ermine is also a species that seemed not to occur here until a few years ago. The first LYU appeared on the 31st, my heart sank...it's unusually early! Very few Micro's have shown up, and those that have are unremarkable.
SILVER Y
TURNIP MOTH
COMMON LUTESTRING
LUNAR THORN
BUFF ERMINE
SCORCHED WING
WHITE PINION SPOTTED
HERALD
MAP WINGED SWIFT ab. gallicus
BLASTOBASIS LACTICOLELLA
TINEA TRINOTELLA
TINEA SEMIFULVELLA
Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:09 pm

All,
June has been a rather windy and very wet month. In terms of rainfall we have endured 133mm here, the 25 year average is 73mm! However the month hasn't been without interest. Red Necked Footman was a first for me as was Satin Beauty, a second example of White Pinion Spotted early in the month pleased me greatly other moths that I only see rarely were Double Dart, Shoulder Striped Wainscot, Dusky Brocade, Tawny Marbled Minor and Green Arches other than the aforementioned it's really been what I expect at this time of year. I mis ID'd Satin Beauty as rather dark Willow Beauty on the strength of the antennae, fortunately I took cold feet and sent the image to Roy Leverton who corrected me, he kindly pointed out that S&P don't go into much detail of the antennae being a diagnostic feature of Satin Beauty, made me feel a bit better!
GREEN ARCHES
TAWNY MARBLED MINOR
PEACH BLOSSOM
LIGHT ARCHES
GREEN PUG
SATIN BEAUTY
SATIN BEAUTY ANTENNA
CHINESE CHARACTER
RED NECKED FOOTMAN
DOUBLE DART
DUSKY BROCADE
SHOULDER STRIPED WAINSCOT

Nick.
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:18 pm

It seems that Photobucket has changed, thus some images are not available...I can't work it out, does anybody else know how to?
N.ck
nickcandlish

Postby nickcandlish » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:21 am

All,
It seems that Photobucket want me to pay getting on for $10.00 per month to allow me to use them for image hosting rather than just storage, not happening!
I've joined Flickr and uploaded the images for June, I've worked out how to transfer the link but you still have to click on it to open the image which is clumsy to say the least....can anybody sort this for me in words of one syllable
RED NECKED FOOTMAN
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152250007 ... ed-public/

Nick.
EDIT. I realise now that the Flickr image has forward and back chevrons allowing any body interested to scroll through the images.
N.
nickcandlish

Return to Moth sightings