Butterflies flying now!:)

Post your reports and photographs of butterflies seen in South West Scotland

Butterflies flying now!:)

Postby scottshanks01 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:42 am

Hi all,

Well so far i've had reports of 4 butterfly species on the wing in south west scotland: Red Admiral, Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell and Green-veined white. I've also had a couple of reports of unidentifed 'whites'.Keep an eye open for Commas feeding up and looking for mates after hibernation, (especially in D&G and Lanarkshire), Small Whites, Orange-tips and Large Whites could all be on the wing now, or in the next few weeks.
There's been reports of a Painted Lady seen in the east of Scotland, so a few may have made it to the west of Scotland too!

During April it's also worth keeping an eye open for Speckled Woods and early-emerged Green Hairstreaks. In warm springs, it's not unknown for Pearl-bordered Fritillary, Dingy Skippers and even Chequered Skipper to make an appearance at the end of April too!

Fingers crossed for sunshine at the weekend and hopefully we'll get sightings of a few more species! :)
Scott
scottshanks01
Site Admin

Re: Butterflies flying now!:)

Postby andrewmasterman » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:27 pm

I saw quite a haul of butterflies on the 6 April.

3 Speckled Wood; 2 Peacock; 1 Red Admiral; 2 Brimstone and an unidentified White.

But as you can tell from the presence of Brimstone in this list and the number of species, it wasn't in Scotland but at Tumbridge Wells in Kent!

Good to see butterflies about again!
andrewmasterman

Postby scottshanks01 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:48 am

I've been up visiting family in Elgin, Moray this weekend and managed to see my first butterfly of the year Today- a Peacock, closely followed by a haul of other species: In total we had 6 Peacocks, 5 Small Tortoiseshells, 1 (possibly 2) Speckled Wood, 3 Small Whites, 1 Large White and 2 Green-veined Whites.
A few non-identified whites too.
We're still waiting for the first reports of Speckled Wood, Large White, Small White, Comma and Orange-tip in SW Scotland! :)
Fingers crossed this warm, sunny weather continues!:)
Scott
scottshanks01
Site Admin

Postby scottshanks01 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:55 pm

Hi all,
After the fantastic sunny weather at the weekend, I've had a flurry of reports of butterflies seen in SW Scotland (including Comma, Small White and Orange-tip) taking us up to 7 species! :). http://www.southwestscotland-butterflies.org.uk/sightings/2011.shtml

Large White, Speckled woods and Holly Blues seen in other parts of Scotland, so keep a look out and fingers crossed for more sunny weather! :)
Cheers
Scott
scottshanks01
Site Admin

Postby owenfiggis » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:49 pm

Went out looking for holly blues today near gatehouse of fleet. After a sunny morning in castle douglas it clouded over by the time we reached our destination. Typical! It did brighten up eventually but only a couple of small tortoiseshells and an unidentified white came out to play.
owenfiggis

Postby scottshanks01 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:12 am

Hi Owen, Bad luck with the Holly blue Hunt...however some good news. I've had 2 different reports of Holly Blue today!

A collegue at work was asking about butterflies and mentioned that she'd hardly seen any, appart from a blue one flying round her garden in Airdrie a week or so ago! It can only be a Holly Blue this early in the year!
Then when giving a presentation about the Small Blue Reintroduction project to the SWT Ayrshire branch tonight, their secretary mentioned that she'd seen a blue butterfly in their garden in Ayr that morning. It had come in twice and landed on some flowering shrubs, but moved very fast. Again far too early to be Common Blue, so has to be Holly blue. She mentioned that her garden has lots of holly and Ivy and nectar plants, so perfect breeding habitat!:) Interestingly there was a couple of holly Blue sightings in Ayr in 2008 too! Would be great to see them more widespread!:)
Cheers
Scott
scottshanks01
Site Admin

Postby owenfiggis » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Looks like I'll have to go back and look again at the weekend. The weather is set fair for a few days at least and I hear that the first green hairstreaks are out. It all seems to happen so fast at this time of year.
owenfiggis

Postby scottshanks01 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:12 pm

10 Species recorded so far in SW Scotland: Large White, Small White, Green-Veined White, Orange-tip, Green Hairstreak, Holly Blue, Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock and Comma! :) http://www.southwestscotland-butterflies.org.uk/sightings/2011.shtml
Lots of species seem to be emerging early this year.
Keep an eye out for Speckled Wood (on the wing already up in Moray and across in the Borders), Small Copper and Wall! :). Plus, It won't be long before Pearl-bordered Fritillaries are out and about aswell.
Scott
scottshanks01
Site Admin

Return to Butterfly Sightings