Barassie - Stevenston

Post your reports and photographs of butterflies seen in South West Scotland

Barassie - Stevenston

Postby IainH » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:28 pm

Today a walk from Barassie to Irvine Harbourside via Irvine Beach Park - venturing off the beach and into the golf courses now and again - produced only about 4 or 5 Common Blues, 3 Six-spot Burnets, 2 Small Coppers, 4 Meadow Browns and dozens of Ringlets and Small Heaths. Dark Green Fritillaries were thinly distributed between Barassie and the south of Irvine Beach Park, with the highest concentration being at NS 31938 35787, a relatively ‘authentic’ bit of dune habitat, where 6 were seen.

Yesterday, 20+ Dark Green Fritillaries were on the wing on the Ardeer Peninsula from NS 28615 39423 southwards.

Iain
IainH

Re: Barassie - Stevenston

Postby jimblack » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:52 pm

Hi Iain
Many thanks for putting on a map reference for Ardeer Dunes. I tried to get in 20-25 years ago, but the security fence was intact, and I never bothered going back. I went down this afternoon, and had quite a surprise at the current ease of access. Good numbers of DGF and Grayling.
Jim Black
jimblack

Re: Barassie - Stevenston

Postby IainH » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi Jim,

I'm glad you were able to find your way onto the Peninsula. It's a very varied and enjoyable site. If the explosives factory hadn't been built there, it would have been designated an SSSI many years ago.

Iain
IainH

Return to Butterfly Sightings