Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary

Post your reports and photographs of butterflies seen in South West Scotland

Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary

Postby TamStewart » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi All,

On the same site as Large Heath (Flatmoss NS663513) I just found two beautifully fresh SPBF one nectaring on marsh thistle and tussling with a large Heath.

Tam
TamStewart

Re: Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi Tam,

two fine species at the same site,

nice,

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Postby TamStewart » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:07 pm

Hi Alistair,

I specifically went there to get Large Heath as I was sure it would be there as its only 3 Km east of Langlands Moss. It was one of those days earlier on when the clouds wouldn't shift but I drove up there and waited about under cloud and a bit of a wind. After 15 min I could see brightness coming from the west then I saw a GV in the ditch and decided to get out and head onto the bog. It wasn't long before the sun came out and I saw my first Emperor moth. After successfully finding LH I continued off Flatmoss and headed to a separate area I could see further off that was similar habitat. It was at this point I came across two SPBF beautifully iridescent orange one of which got into a sparring match with a Large Heath. This site has a lot of potential as it leads onto a number of connecting mossy areas, we'll see.

Tam
Attachments
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary flatmoss 21.06.13.comp.jpg
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary flatmoss 21.06.13.comp.jpg (22.7 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
TamStewart

Postby John Candlish » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:14 am

Hi

I saw my first Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary of the year yesterday (06/06/14) close to Manroy Hill, Rankinston (Grid Ref NS4413), coincidentally this is exactly the same date on which I saw my first one last year.

John
John Candlish

Return to Butterfly Sightings