East Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire Sightings April 2011

Post your reports and photographs of butterflies seen in South West Scotland

East Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire Sightings April 2011

Postby ScottD » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:10 pm

It pays to keep in with the Butterfly Recorder :) - a tipoff from Scott Shanks that Green Hairstreak had been seen at Loch Ardinning & fine weather made for an easy decision of what to do today.
However, I first decided to visit Drumclog Moor near Milngavie as a) I had been meaning to for ages & b) it was pretty much on the way!
This resulted in seeing several Peacocks & Small Tortoiseshells, numerous Green-veined whites & Orange Tips & yes, 2 Green Hairstreaks.
Already quite pleased I proceeded to Loch Ardinning where over the next few hours I saw in excess of 20 Green Hairstreaks!
Several of these were already exhibiting wing damage - I imagine most likely from bird pecks.
I must admit that this is one of my favourite butterflies in our area & it never ceases to amaze me how something so brightly coloured can disappear so easily even if you saw where it landed ...
Attachments
GH2.jpg
GH2.jpg (40.17 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
GH.jpg
GH.jpg (35.53 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
Last edited by ScottD on Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScottD

Re: East Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire Sightings April 2011

Postby scottshanks01 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:27 pm

Aw great photo Scott! It sounds like you had a fantastic day! :) It's amazing how the colour of their wings changes depending on how the light hits them. It looks quite turquoise blue down near it's body. :)
Scott (S) :)
scottshanks01
Site Admin

Return to Butterfly Sightings