Ayrshire Sightings- April 2011

Post your reports and photographs of butterflies seen in South West Scotland

Re: Ayrshire Sightings- April 2011

Postby scottshanks01 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:48 pm

Yup, just turn up on the day. :) Will likely be a few weeks before small PBFs are kicking about, although Pearl-bordered are out in good numbers at Mabie Forest, so worth trying elsewhere for PBF too. Oh, acually there are some old records of PBf at Feoch. Would have been great to confirm that they were there still. http://www.southwestscotland-butterflies.org.uk/surveys/pbf_sites_in_dumfries_and_galloway.shtml.
Cheers, Scott
scottshanks01
Site Admin

Postby Lorna Cole » Tue May 10, 2011 11:57 am

Eventually found last year's Holly Blue from Bellisle - hopefully identified correctly ;)
Lorna Cole

Postby scottshanks01 » Wed May 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Aw fantastic photo Lorna!
Do you have a date and grid reference so that I can add it to the butterfly database? Bellisle looks to be NS3319?
Cheers
Scott
scottshanks01
Site Admin

Postby Lorna Cole » Fri May 13, 2011 9:22 am

Grid Ref: NS 330 192

Date 04/09/2010
Lorna Cole

Postby John Cacdlish » Sun May 22, 2011 9:32 am

Just to let you all know that on Friday 20th May I made a totally unexpected but very exciting discovery when I found 3 possibly 4 Dingy Skippers flying around the edge of the large bing at the former location of Littlemill Colliery near Rankinston, East Ayrshire (Grid Ref NS4414) so there is a very good possibility that there is a decent sized colony situated nearby, I fortunately managed to get a quick shot of one of the butterflies with my mobile phone camera and although the picture quality isn't very good but it confirms the sighting.

As far as I am aware this is the first confirmed sighting of a Dingy Skipper in East Ayrshire for a very long time and during recent years the only places in Ayrshire where this rare and elusive buterfly could be seen were a couiple of locations along the South Ayrshire coast near Lendalfoot and Ballantrae but these locations are a considerable distance away from Rankinston, a new colony was akso discovered at the Feoch Meadows Reserve, near Barrhill in 2008 so the fact that there have now been two new colonies discovered within the past 3 years suggest that there could well be at least a few more colonies existing in Ayrshire which just haven't been discovered yet.

So this news should also encourage other butterfly enthusiasts to keep an eye open for Dingy Skippers anywhere in Ayrshire where there is an abundance of suitable habitat during the remainder of their 2011 flight season and also in future years.

John
Attachments
Dingy Skipper.jpg
Dingy Skipper - Rankinston 20/05/11
Dingy Skipper.jpg (90.76 KiB) Viewed 4825 times
Last edited by John Cacdlish on Sun May 22, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Cacdlish

Postby Lorna Cole » Sun May 22, 2011 7:26 pm

Great find and great photo John! They really are very sweet looking - definitely worthwhile keeping our eyes open. :shock:
Lorna Cole

Postby John Candlish » Mon May 30, 2011 8:14 pm

Wth the vast improvement in the weather today I decided to head over to the former location of Littlemill Colliery near Rankinston, East Ayrshire (Grid Ref NS4414) this afternoon, this was where I saw 3 or 4 Dingy Skippers about 10 days ago and I was hoping to determine whether a good sized colony of this species actually existed at this location and I was not to be disappointed, I had just reached the road which leads towards the big bing when I saw my first Dingy Skipper, it was basking on a patch of bare round right in front of me and within the next half an hour so I amazingly counted at least 20 individuals all within an area of about 300 yards, I then searched the remainder of the bing as well as the adjacent grassy areas for over an hour but I was only able to find another 3 individuals there but finding this number of Dingy Skippers at a single location in Ayrshire on a single visit is almost beyond belief.

With some much better weather forecast for later in the week I am intending to spend even more time searching this entire area since it seems very likely that there could be even more Dingy Skippers to be found nearby due to the abundance of suitable habitat.

John

Dingy Skipper2.jpg
Dingy Skipper1.jpg
John Candlish

Postby scottshanks01 » Mon May 30, 2011 9:43 pm

WOW! 23 Dingy Skippers! That's brilliant John! :D
Your new colony sounds like it's one of the biggest in SW Scotland! Good luck with your searches later in the week!
Cheers, Scott
scottshanks01
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Butterfly Sightings