Meathhill/Auchenlongford

Post your reports and photographs of butterflies seen in South West Scotland

Meathhill/Auchenlongford

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi everybody,

back at one of my fairly regularly visied sites between Sorn and Muirkirk. Sunny but not really warm. Butterflies:

Small Heath 22
Green-viened White 10
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary 6

Unfortunately no net, so no chance of catching any of the big orange/brown moths around - male Fox Moth maybe?

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Re: Meathhill/Auchenlongford

Postby TamStewart » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:28 pm

Hi Alistair,

I was at the other end of Muirkirk today near Glengavel reservoir and got a Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary, 2 Small Heath and 2 Green-veined White.

Tam Stewart
TamStewart

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi Tam,

do you send your records to Scott Shanks (recorder)? Maybe little recording gets done in some of these eastern bits of Ayrshire.

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Postby TamStewart » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi Alistair,

Yes I do send my records to Scott at the end of each month. This is the first year I've taken it up in earnest. I've done the bird watching thing for over 30yr and always had a passing interest in butterflies. But I've caught the bug, if you'll pardon the pun, this year. A friend got me into moth trapping last year and we both joined BC. Over the winter I started collecting books on butterflies, and reading all I could about them. Having walked a lot of the Munros over the past few years I used to see little brownish/bluish & blackish butterflies but couldn't ID them. I'm really enjoying getting to grips with them all.
I am in East Kilbride and was amazed, when looking over reports for south Lanarkshire, to see big white empty spaces with no records or certainly very few. So I've set myself the task of colouring in these squares!!

All the best
Tam
TamStewart

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:15 pm

Hi Tam,

very likely to be Green Hairstreak in some of the Ayrshire/Lanarkshire boxes. Maybe too late this year, there were none at any of the usual spots in my patch a week ago. Good luck with your recording, and if birds, butterflies and moths dont occupy all your time, you could maybe have a go at dragon and damselflies for the British Dragonfly Society Atlas! This is the last year of recording before its published,

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi everybody,

back at one of my regular sites (between Sorn and Muirkirk) today. In sunshine had:

Green-veined White 20++
Small Copper 1
Small Heath 3
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary 1
Orange Tip (males) 3

I had hoped to get Green Hairstreak today but apparently none around at usual place. Also noted that Orange Tip are behind in this moorland/forestry site and SPBF probably late too. The thistles which the adults feed on have not flowered yet.

Alistair.
AlistairMurdoch

Postby jimblack » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:00 pm

Hi Alistair
I totally agree with your thoughts on a late season. I'm just back from a fruitless visit to Glen Trool , today 12.06.15, in perfect weather. Not a single SPBF, and the Marsh Thistle is still in bud.
jimblack

Postby John Candlish » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:03 pm

Hi All

It does appear to be a late year for Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary but I finally saw my first one of the year yesterday (12/06/15) near Manroy Hill, Rankinston, Ayrshire (Grid Reference NS4413).

John
John Candlish

Postby AlistairMurdoch » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:43 pm

Hi everybody,

back at my regular haunt today. A bit cloudy but still got butterflies:

Ringlet 2
Meadow Brown 1
Painted Lady 1
Small PB Fritillary 2
Small Heath 12++
Green Veined White 10+